Thursday, April 21, 2016

Letters to a leader . . . "Dear Dr. King"



Have you ever asked yourself, “Who are the leaders of the future?”  I recently stumbled upon a book published in 1998, Dear Dr. King: Letters from Today’s Children to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Eighteen years ago, children—black and white—wrote letters to Dr. King expressing thanks, posing questions and describing their struggles to understand racism as it was playing out for them in Memphis, Tennessee, where Dr. King’s life was cut short 30 years prior.     

“As we laughed and cried over the letters, it was the conviction we heard in the children’s voices that moved us most,” editors Jan Colbert and Ann McMillan Harms noted. “It is these children who will grow up to be the generation to transform all of Dr. King’s dreams into reality.”

 I can’t help wondering:

▪ how have the perspectives of these children, now adults, developed in the 18 years since they wrote their letters?

▪ If they wrote a letter to Dr. King today, what might they say? 

It is more than coincidence that I stumbled upon this book as I was gathering material for a blog post titled Letters from Leaders . . . espousing the wisdom of past, notable leaders.

It would be remiss to acknowledge today’s children as tomorrow’s leaders without recognizing the racial divide that continues to prevail.  Will the next 18 years, unlike the past 18, produce a generation of leaders that will eradicate racism? 

Yes, the “conviction” can still be heard clearly in those letters from 18 years ago.  Where did we go wrong?

Dear Dr. King,
I want to know if there is a reason for violence.  Because if there is, I want to know.  Your friend, Andrew (Age 8)

Dear Dr. King,
My dad said he saw you when you said “I have a Dream.”  I wish I could have seen you say that.  Sleep in peace, Dr. King.  Your friend, Tarrell, (Age 11)

Dear Dr. King,
I love you because you made the world better because the White and Black people couldn’t be friends and play and you made it so they can play together always.  I want to ask you, are there Black and White angels in heaven?  I think they play together, too.  Love, Morgan (Age 6)

Dear Dr. King,
Though I am white, sometimes I picture myself in a nine-year-old black girl’s shoes.  Your kindness touched my heart. Sincerely, Hannah, (Age 9)

Dear Dr. King,
Things have changed a lot since you were alive.  Blacks and whites can share everything now.  If not, I wouldn’t be born.  Sincerely, Jillian (Age 9)

Dear Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
Did you like being a peace-maker?  I will always remember how you made peace in this country, and I will tell my children.  Sincerely, Evan, (Age 8)

Dear Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
Rebecca is my friend.  She is White.  But all my classmates make fun of her and it makes her cry inside and it makes her mad inside.  Stephanie and I cheer her up.  So Dr. King, I wish you could make the bad kids act better.  Your friend, Yolanda (Age 9)


Note: To comment, click "Name/URL" on the dropdown menu.  Enter name or blog ID in the name field, and leave the URL field blank.

Published on LinkedIn 4/21/16


4 comments:

  1. This conversation evokes much reflection on leadership for me. Not only do I look at Dr. King’s leadership abilities, but it also makes me think of how we develop future leaders of the world.
    Dr. King was a great global leader because he was able to communicate across cultures. He spoke with passion and conviction and pushed the envelope. He was an innovator whose mission was universal and unprecedented and encouraged a nation to appreciate and embrace diversity. He was a visionary who spoke with passion and integrity and selflessly devoted his life to improving race relations for future generations. He created a case for change and articulated a tangible vision and gave the power to the people.
    It is important that today’s youth continue to study Dr. King’s leadership as well as think about how they can impact beyond their own individual networks. I think creating a succession plan of global leaders will help make change more attainable and sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ongoing conversations about this issue are needed? How might you implement them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our society must continue talking about these issues. I do feel we have made progress since the days of Dr. King, however we have huge strides yet to make. I think it must start in our schools. Every child deserves a quality education. We must make an effort to change the system so it supports schools equally despite their socioeconomic status.

      And we must continue to confront these issues. We have to teach our children how to learn from disagreements and surround ourselves with others who think differently in order to become more educated and less sheltered.

      I believe Obama recently addressed some Black Lives Matter activists and requested they open themselves up to hear the other perspective. When we all just yell at each other, nothing gets accomplished.

      Delete
  3. As more stories surface about racial inequalities, I ask myself all the time, "Will there be another revolution? If so, who can I identify as a leader of the future?" I am disheartened and admit, I have been unsuccessful in trying to come up with an answer. I have not been able to identify someone with a clear message and the traits of a Leader or even the CONVICTION to drive large numbers of people to follow and potentially make a change.

    Reading these excerpts, however, reminds me of a few Global Leaders, whether they are identified as being good or bad. The timelessness of their concepts and actions is just one sign. Dr King's work continues to be recognized and mirrored.

    - I would imagine the perspectives of the children that wrote these letters have run the gambit from feeling hopeful because of the changes we've witnessed in the US with regard to race in the 60's and 70's. I would imagine their perspectives as of late would be similar to mine and have feelings of anger and disappointment. Technological advances have allowed us to see what really happens these days and not much has changed.

    - I would imagine if the same children wrote to Dr. King today, the letters would not be so different. They might add more dimensions than just a racial divide and hint about homosexuality and feminism.

    391-16SP14

    ReplyDelete