Friday, April 22, 2016

Talking About TED - "The Power of Introverts" ~ Susan Cain




After you have viewed Cain’s TED Talk, please share your thoughts about her premise and advice? In what ways have you witnessed the power of introverts in your workplace and personal life?

Students’ Feedback

Susan Cain’s TED Talk, the first in the course’s “Talking About TED” series, wrapped up a session highlighting the importance of understanding the cultural self.  In their feedback, students linked Cain’s presentation to concepts of identity development, cultural differences, self-development, authenticity, trust and team-building—all catalysts in developing leadership, cross-cultural and team-building skills. 

Identity development
“It was wonderful.  I am an introvert, and could definitely relate.”
“ . . . insightful about differences and how they’re not a hindrance, but an undiscovered skill.”
“I will embrace my desire to be an introvert.”
“I am an introvert myself and have always thought I had to become more outgoing—pushing (forcing) myself.  Now, I have learned that it is okay to prefer more quiet spaces.”

Cultural differences
“US American’s style is very focused on assertive leadership.”
“ . . . speaks to the idea of diverse cultures.”
“Leadership skills demand respecting differences—that is what this presentation highlighted.”
“Cultural awareness will enhance my global leadership skills.”

Self-development
“ . . .  will help me to be empathetic to introverts AND not feel the need to label myself as an extrovert ALL the time.”
“ . . .  I was not aware of how introverts felt.”
“ . . . can now understand where the leaders that I work with are coming from.”
“Enjoyed the idea that being an introvert is fine.”

Authenticity
“Awareness is key in participating in groups and in leading groups.”
“Introversion is not popular today in the business setting . . . the talk sheds new light on introversion . . .”

Trust
“It will help me be creative in the ways that I will get others to ‘unpack’ their personal backpacks.”
“How people are stimulated is important to understanding group dynamics.  Very relevant!”

Team-building
“This was a great intro to group work, and brings up a good subject that the population is split between introverts and extroverts.”
“ . . . I will try to be inclusive of everyone’s style, and make sure to obtain feedback from all team members.”
“ . . . illustrates the importance of recognizing the introverts we may have on our team . . .”
“ . . . ask more questions, wait for introverts to answer/explain their position.”

Note: To comment, click "Name/URL" on the dropdown menu.  Enter name or blog ID in the name field, and leave the URL field blank.

Posted on LinkedIn 4/22/16



5 comments:

  1. I concur with Cain's view that introverts can be hugely productive and creative without the need for constant stimulation. I am someone who most would view as very extroverted; however, I sometimes seek (in fact, need) periods of quiet reflection in my work and in my personal life.

    I've seen my introvert child create amazing art, and I've seen introverts in the office solve problems when others couldn't. Very relevant topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan Cain’s TED Talk was very insightful. I am extremely happy that the power of introverts is finally being given some respect. My youngest daughter had a hesitancy in her speech as a 3-4 year old. She had some speech therapy, and has been extremely fluent ever since. In fact, no one can tell she ever had any issues. However, whether because of this, or just as a matter of her personality, she was always very quiet in school. Every year, since first grade, we had to endure speeches from the current teacher to instruct us to encourage her to ‘speak up’. She is, and has always been, an A-B student. When called upon in class, she usually had the correct answer. She just isn’t a talkative person. In high school, she joined show choir – which involved singing and dancing in a troupe that performed in competitions both locally and in the surrounding states. Her troupe even performed at Downtown Disney - twice! The fact that she needs to quietly contemplate her world in no way reflects on her intelligence or her willingness to enjoy performing before an audience. I hope the academic community will finally embrace the introverts in their class, and give them the respect that they deserve. They aren't broken and don't need to be 'fixed'. Thank you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Susan! There world seems full of people who are willing to "speak up". I think that having a balance between quiet introspection and extroversion is critical in most settings (school, home, work, social). I shudder to think how the world would be if every setting was full of one type or the other (instead of striking a balance).

      Delete
  3. The TED Talk by Susan Cain is one of the best TED Talks I've watched and I have to admit, I've watched quite a lot. Not only does she provide the history and background for how introverts develop from early childhood and are taught in school, she also shows how current work environments are more conducive for extroverts. This video really connected and resonated with me as I've always identified more as an introvert rather than an extrovert. It's hard and almost surprising sometimes for people to see that, especially in the workplace where I'm constantly interacting with clients, large teams and presenting on a continuous basis. What most people don't understand is that all of this is behavior that I've taught myself by observing extroverts and all I truly wish I could be doing is reading a book, at home, by myself just as Susan mentions. I've always loved reading and been fascinated by the knowledge and information gathered in books over centuries. Reading is actually a hobby of mine that I never share with people and will typically let them know that I play tennis or hang out with friends ( much more extroverted behaviors) than go on long runs by myself or sit at home and read. I also agree with Susan that the world we live in is more conducive for extroverts; however, from one introvert to another, I believe that if someone wants to have a career or interact more with extroverts, they can blend easily if they put their mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this TED talk was very valuable. It once again ties in the EQ aspect into the workplace and leadership discussion. Not every leader must be extroverted, out-going and loud-spoken. As many studies have shown, being authentic is a key to becoming an effective leader. And Susan supports this case wholeheartedly in this TED talk. I appreciate her perspective and courage to speak out loud about the power of introverts!

    ReplyDelete