Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Students' Questions 2.0 - Module 5

"We often discuss diversity and inclusion as a way to understand others. In doing so, we ask questions or make observations in order to gain understanding. However, there are some questions we cannot ask, as protocol considers them as inappropriate. Similarly, our observations may unknowingly contain bias. Therefore, we are limited in our understanding of another culture to some degree. The more complete our knowledge about another culture, the less likely we are to fumble or offend. However, in a work environment, we don't have the luxury of an immersion course of the unfamiliar culture: we are to plunge in and make it work. Whether we are entering a new country, a new region in the United Sates, or a new job, we will encounter cultural differences. I would be most interested to learn the most appropriate methods to employ in such a situation, using a new job as an example."


3 comments:

  1. I definitely would encourage those starting in a new job to connect with their HR business partner to get a "lay of the land" around diversity concerns. What are the norms (informal and formal)? What is the appetite for open dialogue around diversity, etc.? In fact, I would recommend discussing culture and HR norms around diversity BEFORE starting a new job to ensure there is a "a fit". Some cultures are behind the times, or very conservative. Better to figure that out beforehand. Again, ask to interview with an HR executive or partner before accepting a new position. Many hiring managers/leaders will tell you what you want you to hear, but you may find an environment that is a lot different once you're in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I have learned, and will continue to hone indefinitely, is the ability to style-switch. As I am going through a job transition currently, I have found myself in the throes of unfamiliar territory. Although I am still working with colleagues in the U.S., I have learned to be more aware of my orientations in meetings with others. Using the Cultural Orientations Indicator assessment as a guide, I have been able to sit back and observe the environment and various parameters of how these teams function. I can sense when someone is more Instrumental than Expressive and know that I should address them in a less emotional manner. Or in dealing with someone who is strongly Fixed, I know to prepare for that meeting with a specific agenda and adhere to that. I believe this approach can be utilized when attempting to learn more about various cultures. In knowing your audience, you learn the integrative way of thinking that will allow you to permeate the exterior to gain a better understanding of the cultural differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (391-16SP08) I agree with Mark in terms of connecting with your HR partner but I would even take it one step further. Within my organization, we have different diversity groups that meet on a monthly basis. I would work on joining those groups and will immerse myself within the culture. I would also work on having an outside in approach and understand what qualities I have that can possibly disrupt our business relations.

    ReplyDelete